OLD FRIENDS: A HAVEN FOR RETIRED THOROUGHBREDS w/BONUS FOOTAGE
The feature begins with a short segment produced while at the former Old Friends location; tells the viewer all about the Old Friends program and about some of the horses residing there.
Next, see the following horses and races: CREATOR: Prix Gamay at Lonchamp Gr. I (France) 4/29/89 best performance at ten furlongs of the year in which he beat IN THE WINGS and IBN BEY.
ESTRAPADE: Oak Tree Invitational- Yellow Ribbon at Santa Anita 10/12/86 with Bill Shoemaker up; FRAISE: Breeders Cup Turf 10/31/92 beating SKY CLASSIC with Pat Valenzuela up. Best race ever!
INVIGORATE: Race 11 Rockingham Park 07/04/99; OGYGIAN: Futurity at Belmont 9/14/85 beating GROOVY, Dwyer: 07/5/86 over PERSONAL FLAG, Jerome Handicap at Belmont 9/1/86 besting GROOVY and MOGAMBO.
RUHLMANN: El Camino Real at Bay Meadows with Pat Day up 1/24/88, California Derby at Golden Gate Fields 4/23/88, Jamaica Handicap at Belmont 10/28/88, Viking Spirit Stakes at Santa Anita 3/5/89 as he won on the lead with P Val and he never touched him, San Bernardino Handicap at Santa Anita 4/2/89 with Laffit Pincay up whipping LIVELY ONE, Mervyn Leroy Handicap at Hollywood Park 5/21/89 forges to the front over SABONA, Santa Anita Handicap 3/9/90 with Gary Stevens up beating the great mare BAYAKOA, QUIET AMERICAN, FLYING CONTINENTAL, CRIMINAL TYPE and LIVELY ONE - he flies to the lead and wins!
RIVA WAY: Race 4 Monmouth 8/14/03 in which he won at odds of 1/1 under Michael Baze
SPECIAL RING: Eddie Read Handicap on the turf at Delmar 7/25/04 winning over SWEET RETURN and SARAFAN and MR. LIVINGSTON
SUNSHINE FOREVER: Man O' War Stakes at Belmont 9/24/88, Turf Classic at Belmont 10/9/88 getting beat and coming back on to win, Budweiser International at Laurel Park 10/23/88 win with Angel Cordero up and Breeders Cup Turf 11/5/88 at Churchill Downs, second to GREAT COMMUNICATOR
TAYLOR'S SPECIAL: Lousiana Derby at Lousiana Downs 3/25/84, Bluegrass Stakes and Keeneland 4/28/84, Isaac Murphy Stakes at Arlington 8/22/86...6 furlongs in 1:08 - Record time still stands!
AS AN ADDED BONUS...seven segments on Old Friends Retirement Facility are added after the main feature ends:
1) A segment from HRTV's, "Inside Information", which focuses on Old Friends and the retired Thoroughbreds currently residing there (KIRI'S CLOWN, AWAD, SUNSHINE FOREVER, OGYGIAN, RUHLMAN and KUDOS) and also other beloved ones that have passed on (PRECISIONIST, FRAISE and CRIMINAL TYPE).
2) Michael Blowen, president and founder of Old Friends is the guest on HRTV's, "Raceday America", program with news of LAVA MAN possibly being their newest resident; also stories of current residents THE WICKED NORTH and SIPHONIZER who already live there.
3) Old Friends is showcased on CBS Evening News hosted by Katie Couric featuring RUHLMAN, SWAN'S WAY, FLYING PIDGEON and SUNSHINE FOREVER.
4) Michael Blowen, president and founder of Old Friends is again a guest on HRTV's, "Raceday America", program featuring latest news of LAVA MAN and latest acquisitions champion HIDDEN LAKE and EASY GRADES.
5) Michael Blowen joins the HRTV "Raceday America" team yet again with the latest news and horses added to Old Friends Retirement haven since his last visit; ACADEMY AWARD, MARQUETRY, BLACK TIE AFFAIR, COMMENTATOR and the latest developments on the on-going saga of trying to get the loveable loser ZIPPY CHIPPY on board at their latest Old Friends facility (the Bobby Frankel Division) in Saratoga Springs, NY.
6) A very lengthy segment on Old Friends from an episode of Kentucky's KET station's, "Kentucky Life" series is the final segment.
7) Another HRTV spot with the latest news on the New York (Bobby Frankel) division of Old Friends: their new equine cemetery there with its first interrment that being the great 1950's champion, NOOR who was re-located from California (with extra rare vintage footage of him retired and putting on quite a show in his paddock - film footage being 50+ years old) and soon coming former 1998 Horse-of-the-Year SKIP AWAY (who passed away in 2010) in addition to news of their latest addition, PRIZED - the 1989 BC Turf winner, and their hopes of getting the Washington-based stallion, YOU AND I, next.
(2 Hours and 1 Minute)
|Format(s) Available:||DVD And VHS|
|Category:||U.S. & Canadian Flat Racing|