LEGEND OF SPECTACULAR BID w/BONUS FOOTAGE
Watch his meteoric rise as a two-year-old as he wins the Champagne and as he overcomes a bad trip to win the Hollywood Derby; as he takes command in the Derby and Preakness winning very impressively and also his disappointing loss in the Belmont - depriving this very deserving athlete and the racing world its 12th Triple Crown winner.
His next test as a three-year-old, the 1979 Jockey Club Gold Cup, was heralded as, "The Race of the Year", with Horse-of-the-Year honors on the line - he would be up against last year's Horse-of-the-Year and Triple Crown winner, AFFIRMED - "THE BID" would have to settle for second place in this race, and ultimately, only Champion three-year-old title for 1979.
In 1980, "THE BID's" greatest days would still be ahead of him in his four-year-old campaign when he reeled off nine consecutive wins in nine starts; clinching Horse-of-the-Year title very decisively. In the 1980 Woodward Stakes, his reputation was such that not one horse dared face him and he galloped down the track alone - a testament to his greatness! If there were any doubters, he would unquestionably convince people that he was one of the best Thoroughbreds ever to go down in racing history.
A standing salute for this champion is due.
AS AN ADDED BONUS...several mini segments of SPECTACULAR BID are shown after the main feature:
- Bill Finley of ESPN visits, "THE BID", in 2002 at Milfer Farm in Unadilla, New York, where he's been retired in near obscurity but living a life of paradise at age 26 - still healthy and trim
- Horse Racing Channel TVG and HRTV, in addition to ESPN, pay tribute to SPECTACULAR BID who dies of an apparent heart attack in 2003 at 27-years-old; several clips look back on his illustrious career and race records in addition to testimonials from his trainer, Bud Delp
- Several segments from Horse Racing Channel, HRTV, look back on SPECATACULAR BID when he raced in California in 1980...highlights of his 1980 Californian and San Fernando; his Malibu Stakes, Strub Stakes and Santa Anita Handicap wins over FLYING PASTER in addition to his 1979 Preakness romp
- HRTV reports of the death of trainer, Bud Delp
- HRTV looks back at the phenomental career of SPECTACULAR BID in a, "Past the Stands" segment
|Format(s) Available:||DVD And VHS|
|Category:||U.S. & Canadian Flat Racing|