1987 BREEDERS' CUP (Entire Televised Broadcast from HOLLYWOOD PARK)
Can GROOVY, six-for-six in 1987, finish the season undefeated to take "Horse of the Year" honors? Who will win in the turf "battle of the continents" as European champ TREMPOLINO faces American standard-bearer THEATRICAL? Finally, witness the historical grand finale in the Classic when, for the first time in Breeders' Cup history, two Kentucky Derby winners, FERDINAND and ALYSHEBA, go head to-head!
1) SPRINT - Watch ZANY TACTICS, supplemented for $120,000, take on division leading, GROOVY, along with fillies, VERY SUBTLE and PINE TREE LANE, who finished second the year before, while tough guys TAYLOR'S SPECIAL, ZABALETA and EXCLUSIVE ENOUGH seek the upset.
2) JUVENILE FILLIES - Can anyone beat the KLEIN-LUKAS four-horse entry, led by LOST KITTY and JEANNE JONES? Undefeated Puerto Rican star BALQUIRIA will try, along with EPITOME, CLASSIC CROWN and DREAM TEAM. If you like photos, you'll love this one, decided by a nose at the wire!
3) DISTAFF - INFINIDAD is the heavy favorite, but can anyone catch speedy SACAHUISTA? Facing these superstars are CLABBER GIRL, NORTH SIDER and OUEEE BEBE, but they all must watch SACAHUISTA set a track record!
4) MILE - Watch the great European miler MIESQUE route the firld, winning her ninth out of twelve career starts in a blazing 1:32.4! Nor does she beat a bunch of nobodies, as her victims include DOUBLE FEINT, SHOW DANCER, SONIC LADY, TEMPERATE SIL and the fine English filly MILLIGRAM.
5) JUVENILE COLTS - Canadian star REGAL CLASSIC crosses the border to take on SUCCESS EMPRESS, TEJANO, FIERY ENSIGN, COMTEMPT and TSARBABY.
6) TURF - With the immortal MANILA just retired, THEATRICAL may have his day in the sun - if he can beat Europe's finest distance star TREMPOLINO. Nor can these two forget about speedball GREAT COMMUNICATOR, VILLAGE STAR or BINT PASHA. The stretch duel between THEATRICAL and TREMPOLINO, equaling the track record, is one for the ages!
7) CLASSIC - Watch the main event which will be talked about forever! SKYWALKER is back to defend his title, but what a task he faces! While this is billed as the battle of the immortals, with 1986 Kentucky Derby winner FERDINAND taking on 1987 Derby and Preakness winner ALYSHEBA, horses like CRYPTOCLEARANCE, GULCH, Canadian star AFLEET, NOSTALGIA'S STAR and JUDGE ANGELUCCI can hardly be ignored. And you guessed it - this race produces another photo! Can the older FERDINAND hold off the desperate stretch drive of ALYSHEBA?
Highlights include Kentucky-breds winning the first five races of the day, while top trainer D.WAYNE LUKAS takes two more trophies, as does leading jockey PAT DAY. The legendary WILLIE SHOEMAKER finally wins a Breeders' Cup race and just for good measure, we get an inside look at jockeys who want to change horses almost at the last minute, and what kind of negotiating is involved.
FOR A DETAILED CHRONOLOGICAL LIST OF ALL 7 RACES SHOWN IN THIS FEATURE, INCLUDING THE NAMES OF ALL THE HORSES IN EACH FIELD - JUST REQUEST A COPY AND A COMPILATION SHEET ALONG WITH THE 1,2,3 FINISHERS WILL BE E-MAILED TO YOU.
(2 Hours and 59 Minutes)
|Format(s) Available:||DVD And VHS|
|Category:||European Flat Racing|