GREATEST SPORTS LEGENDS' GOLDEN GREATS OF HORSE RACING
1) JOHNNY LONGDEN ran his first official race in 1927 and his last at age 59 in 1966. Almost 40 years with a career total of 6,032 victories
2) EDDIE ARCARO, the only jockey to win two triple crowns. He began his career in 1930 winning his first Kentucky Derby in 1938; won 4,779 races and a total of over $30 million and retired in 1961 and is in the Horse Racing Hall of Fame.
3) WILLIE SHOEMAKER set the all-time win record with 6,033 in 1970; has led the nation in earnings ten times and is considered the greatest jockey in horse racing history.
4) ANGEL CORDERO - During his career has won three Kentucky Derbys, earned two Eclipse Awards for being the nations number one rider and won over 5,000 races.
5) LAFFIT PINCAY, JR., won the Eclipse Award as the nation's best jockey four times in his career.
6) KELSO came from a line that included the great MAN O'WAR; he was named Horse-of-the-Year five times and won 39 of 63 races - placed second in twelve races and and third in two races.
7) SECRETARIAT - One of the most popular and successful horses of all time; the huge handsome "BIG RED" was the perfect race horse and in 1973 became the first Triple Crown winner in 25 years.
8) RUFFIAN - In her short career, this amazing filly had broken or equaled track records in nine out of ten races; her legendary career was cut short in an ill-fated match race between RUFFIAN and Kentucky Derby winner, FOOLISH PLEASURE in 1975.
9) SEATTLE SLEW - The 1977 Triple Crown winner finished his career with 14 wins and two second place finishes in a total of 17 races.
10) AFFIRMED was the horse of the year two years running (1978 and 1979). He became the first horse ever to win $2 million and won the Triple Crown in 1978.
11) SPECTACULAR BID was named horse of the year in 1980 and had won 26 of his 30 races.
12) JOHN HENRY raced until the grand old age of nine-years-old and finished in the money in 43 of 53 races and won total earnings of $6.5 million.
A look back at Horse Racing's, "Golden Greats"!
|Format(s) Available:||DVD And VHS|
|Category:||U.S. & Canadian Flat Racing|