DR. FAGER 6-RACE TIME CAPSLUE
This time capsule looks back at some of "THE DOC's" most memorable and impressive feats:
1) On August 24, 1968, DR. FAGER coasted home in a hand ride, drawing away by 10 lengths from the rest of the field in a WORLD RECORD TIME for the mile in 1:32.1 in the WASHINGTON PARK HANDICAP.
2) He carried 134 lbs. during his victory in the 1968 UNITED NATIONS HANDICAP in Atlantic City - his first and only stakes race on grass beating the established turf specialist, FORT MARCY, who placed in third. His trainer, flamboyant JOHN NERUD, said every Thoroughbred champion worthy of the title ought to prove himself carrying weight and DR. FAGER had won as a sprinter ,at a distance and also with an ever-increasing load to haul.
3) Fourteen Handicap horses from all over the country gathered to compete in Hollywood Park's 1968 CALIFORNIAN and carrying top weight of 130 lbs. was perhaps the best horse in training at that moment in the land. Featured in this race is the legendary great filly, GAMELY, who rolled to an impressive 2nd-place finish. It was noted at post time that no horse had ever carried that much weight to victory in this race but breaking the 130-lb. jinx with apparent ease by three lengths, DR.FAGER in his only trip out West flew in on Thursday, raced Saturday, and left Sunday $74,600 richer!
4) The first time ever that three eventual Horses-of-the-Year (awarded 1966, 1967 and 1968) raced together in the same race; the 1967 Horse-of-the-Year title depended on the winner for the 1967 WOODWARD and this now historic race featured three of the best Thoroughbreds in history:: the four-year-old BUCKPASSER and three-year-olds DAMASCUS and DR. FAGER. With "THE DOC" being cooked too early in the race with the early fractions, the race was set up for the two closers: BUCKPASSER and DAMASCUS. After this race, three champions would emerge: DAMASCUS: 1967 Horse-of-the-Year, BUCKPASSER: 1967 Champion Older Male, and DR. FAGER: 1967 Champion Sprinter.
5) The 1968 WHITNEY HANDICAP showcases another great feat from DR.FAGER...also featuring SPOON BAIT and FORT DRUM.
6) The 1967 VOSBURGH STAKES
"THE DOC" was voted Horse of the Year for 1968 and retired with $1.2 million from 18 wins from 22 starts after three racing seasons.
See very rare footage of Tartan Farms in Ocala, Florida, where DR. FAGER was retired and where some of the best mares in the country were waiting for a romp in the hay with him!
This is indeed a rare treat for those who still revel in the memories of DR. FAGER - his awesome display of raw unbridled power down the stretch stills burns bright in the hearts of his true fans.
FOR A DETAILED CHRONOLOGICAL LIST OF THE 6 RACES FEATURED IN THIS TIME CAPSULE, JUST REQUEST A COPY AND A COMPILATION SHEET ALONG WITH THE 1,2,3 FINISHERS WILL BE E-MAILED TO YOU.
|Format(s) Available:||DVD And VHS|
|Category:||U.S. & Canadian Flat Racing|